Mexican Gothic my Silvia Moreno-Garcia

When her newlywed cousin sends a strange, rambling letter back home, Noemí Taboada is dispatched by her father to investigate.  High Place is a gothic English home set in the remote countryside of Mexico, and it's not just the house that is strange.  Its residents are equally unusual.  It is clear as soon as Noemí arrives that not everything is as it seems as the house itself seems to invade her dreams with visions of violence and supernatural events.



Noemí is a striking heroine.  At the outset of the novel, Moreno-Garcia gives the reader the impression that Noemí is an entitled, spoiled and somewhat vapid debutante who lives to spite her father.  However, it is quickly revealed that she is much more than that.  Her interests might flicker from one thing to another, but she is spunky, intelligent and fiercely devoted to her family.  I really enjoyed getting to know Noemí throughout the novel.

I also thought I knew exactly where the story was going, but I couldn't have been more wrong.  I did not see the source of evil coming until it was revealed despite masterfully placed hints.  The reveal was well done and it was easy to suspend my disbelief. Moreno-Garcia did an excellent job at creating a horror that was not too far from the realm of the possible.

Mexican Gothic definitely left me feeling creeped out and uncomfortable!

Comments

Popular Posts