I Killed Zoe Spanos by Kit Frick

 When Anna takes a summer job nannying for a wealthy Hamptons family, she expects a fresh start.  She doesn't expect to become a suspect in a murder investigation.



Anna as a character has an interesting voice, but not one I found particularly compelling.  She implies that she parties because she has nothing better to do, that her mother is neglectful and ultimately is a flat character that I found dislikable the more the novel wore on.

The mystery surrounding the disappearance of Zoe Spanos is the real reason I kept reading, but there are certain elements that felt lazy.  Anna's memories and confession being a result of alcohol induced blackout seem unlikely and are used just to cast suspicion.  The hunt for Zoe's true killer, in the form of Martina (Jenkins) Green's podcast turns out to be the best part of the novel and I would have enjoyed the novel much more if it was told from Martina's point of view.  Ultimately, the ending was disappointing and becomes predictable at about 3/4 of the way through the book.

I gave this a 3/5 stars because it is a light, entertaining read.  I would not recommend it to someone looking for a more serious thriller- even in the YA category, as I feel that there are better done thrillers for YAs.

Comments

Popular Posts