Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

 Eleanor Oliphant struggles with navigating the social world, but when she meets Raymond from IT everything changes.  An accident makes Eleanor an unexpected heroine and she and Raymond set off on a journey of self-discovery and friendship.


At first, it is hard to like Eleanor.  I mean really hard.  There are so many times I found myself sighing in frustration or rolling my eyes.  Fortunately, Honeyman writes with a compelling voice and in the moments where Eleanor isn't being her frustrating self, she can be quite unintentionally funny!  The point of the novel is to watch Eleanor change and grow, and the process is beautiful. Watching her treat socialization as something of an experiment at first is heartwarming, adorkable, and sometimes painful.  She must confront her past in order to heal and find the friends and love she has been searching for all her life.  As Eleanor grew, so did my like for her.

This was an emotional roller coaster of a novel that I couldn't put down (evidently as I finished it in one day!). I know that this is a book that will linger with a lot of readers- I know it will be one of my favourites I read this year.

Comments

Popular Posts