Hunted by P.C and Kristin Cast

 Kalona has risen and the House of Night, including Neferet is under his sway.  Zoey must learn to determine friend from foe, balance an increasingly complicated love life and bring about the downfall of an ancient evil.


I think that the power of nostalgia had been strong with this series.  I had read the first couple many years back, and decided to finally have a crack at finishing the series.  I am a sucker for YA vampire novels (pun intended!)

However, Hunted definitely feels like it over utilizes tropes.  Zoey has long been established as special, and has always been at the centre of romantic desires for her fellow students, teachers, and humans alike.  This instalment of the series sees 4 guys vying for her attention and affections, something that is just exhausting and unnecessary.  Zoey even says at one point that maybe she'd be better off without a guy- and I can't help but agree.  The romance portion feels forced, fake and she should, by now, be a strong enough woman to not need saving.

It's still an entertaining read from an action point of view, though I do feel the conclusion was a little rushed.  We spend much of the novel down in tunnels and it is only in the last 20 pages that we have the confrontation with evil we have been building towards.  I am certain that the next book will pick right up where Hunted leaves off though, so perhaps it won't be too jarring.

Overall, only a 2/5 for me this time around.  I'll still persist with the series to get the conclusion my teen self needs.

Comments

Popular Posts