Goodnight Beautiful by Aimee Molloy

 Sam Statler has it all: a great job, a house in the country, an adoring wife (who likes to keep their sex life entertaining.). Little does he know that everything that goes on in his office can be heard from upstairs in the house.  When a French girl in a Mini Cooper shows up and a storm hits, Sam goes missing and the happily ever after that he has fought so hard for with Annie begins to unravel.


There were times when I found this novel very gripping, and at others the convoluted twists of the plot lost my interest.  I am all for unexpected twists- especially when reading a thriller since they can be predictable.  However, I feel that at times Goodnight Beautiful became too muddied for my tastes.

The characters; however, are among some of the most well written I have encountered in a thriller novel.  I love the complexity behind Sam and Annie in particular and enjoyed learning about their lives, courtship and figuring out their minds as the plot unraveled.

Overall, I think that Molloy had an interesting premise, that the book is written well and that it will entertain readers who enjoy Lucy Foley, Mindy Mejia, Shari Lapena and Gilly McMillan.  I'll leave it up to the other readers to see if it is worth the rave reviews I have seen generated elsewhere. A 3/5 star rating for me since it was entertaining but I felt a little disappointed by the last third of the book.

Comments

Popular Posts