You Had Me at Hola by Alexis Daria

 Jasmine has a Leading Lady Plan that she thinks can't fail, but when she is cast along the famous telenovela star Ashton Suarez she gets caught up in his steamy good looks and trying to get him to open up.

A diverse romance novel featuring Latinx characters? Yay!  And that's sort of where I have to leave my excitement unfortunately. 

The characters themselves felt flat and too trope-y for my tastes and even though I know what I'm getting into when it comes to romance, this one reads too much like the telenovelas that clearly inspired it.  By about 50 pages into the novel, I knew exactly what was going to happen almost down to the detail.  I only persisted in continuing because it came highly recommended from LibraryReads.

I probably would only recommend this one to readers that are monogamous to the romance genre or someone that requests a diversity read. 2/5 stars for this one.


Comments

Popular Posts