Cinderbiter by Martin Shaw & Tony Hoagland

 A modernized collection of old Celtic poems with dynamic versions of familiar folk-hero tales.


I enjoy myths, legends and poetry so it seemed natural for me to give Cinderbiter a spin.  I was peripherally aware of some Celtic legends, but not all which made reading this a new experience for me.  I did enjoy the modernization, the language upcdates definitely made these poems accessible to the modern day reader.  I also felt that Shaw and Hoagland did give us snappy, lyrical versions of the poetry.

However, I'm not sure if it was my ignorance, that I wasn't particularly feeling this book at this particular moment or that I didn't care for the style of the poetry.  Sometimes I felt like I wasn't quite grasping the meaning or the tales (very well could be ignorance!) and sometimes I just did not enjoy the poems.  

Overall, an okay read, but not one I would rave about. 3/5 stars from me.

Comments

Popular Posts