Written in the Stars by Alexandria Bellefleur

 Girl meets girl on a disastrous blind date.  Darcy, sick of her brother's attempts to matchmake, lies and says it has gone well.  Elle agrees to the charade with a few conditions of her own thrown into the mix.  What happens when opposites truly attract?



I think we all know exactly how this story goes just by reading the back of the book.  Yes, I understand that it is a romance so I know precisely what I am getting, but you don't need to read between the lines in the blurb to ruin the story for yourself.

The only thing that saved Written in the Stars for me was that it was an LGBTQ+ novel.  In fact, it's more than just the featured couple who are representative of the community.  Otherwise, the book is just another attempt at a modern retelling of Pride & Prejudice, I mean the main characters are called Elle (Elizabeth) and Darcy! They aren't really original characters with too many cliches to count on one hand, and I don't particularly root for them. Additionally, I feel that this novel is just another in the series of "fake dating turns real" novels that seem to be riding a wave of popularity.  If that's your thing, you're sure to love this one.

This novel reads similarly to If We Never Met and Take a Hint, Dani Brown.  Readers of Helen Hoang and Kevin Kwan will probably also enjoy this novel.  Personally you write a 2 with the stars I'm going to give it.

Comments

Popular Posts