Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

 An epic tale spanning over 300 years and chronicling the family story of two half-sisters separated at a young age.  Homegoing explores the legacies of colonialism, slavery and what it means to be black in America.

I just read Yaa Gyasi's second novel, Transcendent Kingdom, and I loved it.  Her writing style is so beautiful and raw that it lingers with you for a long time after you finish reading.  I found her debut novel just as wonderful. 

Homegoing has a plethora of wonderful characters and we get but a brief glimpse into their story which often left me craving more.  The characters are so well written that I felt like there were whole novels left out of this larger work, although I felt satisfied by what was presented.  There is a wholeness to each story and I did feel like each one was concluded or that it was in the next generation's story.  

The novel also does not excuse or romanticize the horrors that occurred during the slave trade, but nor does Gyasi present to us characters that are wholly victims.  All the characters have their own sins that they must confront and deal with as they live their lives.

I give this one a solid 4/5 stars.  Definitely a book for Gyasi fans, as well as those that enjoyed The Book of Negroes, There There, The Orenda, Any Known Blood, and Moonglow.

Comments

Popular Posts