Devolution by Max Brooks

 Mount Rainier has erupted, plummeting the Pacific Northwest into chaos.  Amidst this chaos and disaster of another kind occurs.  Greenloop, a revolutionary carbon neutral community, and all its residents have fallen victim to a massacre.  The accounts left behind are finally coming to light and a creature thought to be legend is responsible.

I absolutely loved World War Z by Max Brooks, so when I saw Devolution in my library I knew I had to check it out.  I love anything cryptozoology, creepy, and horrifying and I love it even more when presented mockumentary style.

Brooks masterfully blends social satire and horror here.  His characters are raw, accessible and I know I can see a few of them in my real life.  Even the setting flips from beautiful to terrifying within a few sentences!  This novel will make you think about what lurks in the deep forests where humans fear to tread.

I really think that this one will be beloved by fans of Brooks, as well as Bob Fingerman and the crypto-horror genre. Another 5 star rating here!


Comments

Popular Posts