The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

 Avery Grambs just has to survive highschool before she can embark on her better future.  A call to the principal's office changes all of that as she finds out she has been named the sole heir to a fortune of billions.  The catch?  She doesn't know Tobias Hawthorne.  And he disinherited his family in favour of a stranger.


Even seeing the cover of this novel, I thought it was going to be a blatant ripoff and repackaging of The Hunger Games.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover this was not the case.  The premise of the novel is something new and fresh, but that ties in well to the overall popularity of YA Thrillers.  

I enjoyed the presentation of the puzzles in the novel and appreciated all the twists and turns.  There was a good amount of angst and tension that kept me interested in reading the story.  I think the book could have been kept strictly to being a thriller/mystery and ditched the romance. 

The romance subplot felt beyond forced.  It was poorly written, and adding a triangle for the sake of drama ... let's just say it's a YA trope I am truly tired of.  Despite this criticism, I still give it 

Readers of #noescape and All Your Twisted Secrets will surely enjoy this one.  

Comments

Popular Posts