Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse

 A prophecy has been told.  A god will return under the Black Sun.

I don't even know where to start with this one.  This is gritty fantasy that sweeps you away from page one.  There is magic, cruelty, destiny, duty, political intrigue, gender-fluidity, non-heteronormative relationships- Black Sun truly has it all.  

Despite being a fantasy novel with non-human (or at least not fully human) characters, Roanhorse shows humanity in all its triumph and all its unflattering shades.  Her characters are so deep, intriguing and vibrant that I know I will not forget ant of them anytime soon.  Each of them is memorable in their own way, and completely apart from many of the fantasy tropes that authors rely on.

The writing itself is beautiful and precise, with echoes of Native American myth woven into the story.  I was truly mesmerized.  I mean, this would have been a one-sitting book if it hadn't been for the kitchen sink backing up mid-read!

Anyone that has enjoyed N.K. Jemisin, George R.R. Martin and Pamela Freeman is sure to enjoy Black Sun. I am very much looking forward to the second instalment of the series.

Comments

Popular Posts