His Scream Queen by Brooklyn Ann

When the most popular girl at school dumps Lucio, he plots his revenge by trying to steal her prom queen crown. What he doesn't expect is a series of murders and to fall in love with the new prom queen candidate.




Honestly, I went in expecting this to be a quick, entertaining read that I would enjoy but not love. While it was quick and entertaining, I was wrong about loving it. Brooklyn Ann does a masterful job of blending 80s nostalgia with a compelling plot. Yes, the romance subplot is a little cliched and sometimes X-Rated- but its forgivable because of the dark, macabre elements of the story.

I enjoyed the unexpected characters, the callousness of the villain, the reference to pop culture ... The whole novel was a delight. I didn't realize prior to downloading that this was part of a series. Although it is not necessary to read the other books to enjoy this one, you can bet I'll be checking out the others now!

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Comments

Popular Posts